Monday, March 3, 2014

Screen Door Project

In our old home (built in the 40's) I used a screen door out of the basement as a baby gate, keeping little E from venturing out onto the enclosed back porch/pantry. When we moved I couldn't bear the thought of leaving it behind to be destroyed by a renter. It isn't ornate, but beautiful in a simple way. That is my favorite part of older homes, they are beautiful in their simplicity.

After bringing the door to our new home, I measured and it was either too big, or too small for all of the available doorways. This means I needed to find another purpose for it (YAY). I love to re purpose items!

I had already painted one side of the door red. ( I hadn't gotten around to painting the other side before we moved.) For this project I only needed one side painted anyway. If you have ever looked on Pinterest I am sure you have seen the old doors or screen doors turned into entry tables, jewelry holders, etc. I listed all of these wonderful ideas off to my farmer, which he then put the nix on. He was obviously afraid that I would need to buy more jewelry or some such nonsense :) I then thought of all the large empty wall space in our basement and how neat a screen door would look hanging by original hinges on the wall while being used to hold pictures or some such.

This is what it looked like prior to any paint/work

This is actually the back side, Shhh.
I then painted a sunflower in one corner and added a saying and twine for pinning the pictures too.

please pardon the extreme junk pile in my craft/storage room
I attached the twine using flat head tacks.
First I hot glued the ends around the tack and then hammered it into the wood.


Then I cajoled my farmer into hanging it on our basement wall and I think it looks great. After being hung though the words were very hard to read, so I mixed some cornstarch into my paint to thicken it and painted over them again, and I am much happier with how it looks now.


It is kinda glumpy looking in places, 
but I think it adds a bit of imperfection that every piece needs.







Mini clothespins for holding on the pictures!
This projected costed me: $0 at present.

I had all the paint, twine, door and the clothespins I borrowed from picture holding shutter so I will have to buy some eventually. Total time was just a couple of hours, plus the 2+ week wait time for Farmer to hang it!

No comments:

Post a Comment