Thursday, November 1, 2012

Goulash and Applesauce

Today is the dreaded Thursday that occurs every week. Hubby only has one class on these days and it is complete torture for him to be left in the house with nothing to do. Unfortunately until he graduates in December we are stuck in the big city that is 3 hours from the farm. This is his torture, he can't go work on the tractor or build fence, drill the wheat and about a million other things. In turn my torture is the fact that he mopes about the house all day, being bored out of his mind. 

To help fill the day, I saved grocery shopping for today instead of Tuesday, that equals and hour and a half of mopey husband free time! Little one and I have shopping down to an art now, she gurgles and laughs as I recited items from the list to her in that goofy-vowed-I'd-never-use-mom-voice. Of course to a 3 month old, I'm just AWESOME, not goofy.....right?!

I am a huge fan of easy throw 'em all in the same pot types of dishes, so today we tried one of Paula Dean's recipes Bobby's Goulash. It turned out pretty good. I ended up tweaking it a little bit, for one divided everything in half since there is just the two of us. Also used crushed tomatoes vs. diced as the hubby doesn't like chunks of tomatoes in anything, and replaced Paula's seasoned salt with our favorite all purpose seasoning Misty's, which is only sold in Nebraska. Even half a recipe made more than enough for us, so I froze half for an easy pull out meal later! 

Off to tackle homemade applesauce for a tasty treat for tonight. Plan to post some pictures and recipe tomorrow if all goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment