Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Just Getting Started....

Just getting started applies to a lot of things in our life right now. Not just the blog, but getting started as a new mother, a wife and the amazing job of stay-at-home mom and housewife. 

Let me start by saying that a year ago, I never would have told you that I wanted to stay at home all day cleaning up spit up, slobber and toys galore or spend my time baking, cleaning and making healthy, affordable and yummy meals...but now I can say its the best decision my husband and I have ever made, for me to stay home and take care of our sweet baby girl. This decision was not made lightly or quickly. But for us it just didn't make sense to spend half a months pay on daycare, and the other half on fuel getting to and from work. 

The scariest part of it all, hubby is still in school, graduating this December  With no monthly paycheck and living off savings until we can get the fall crop in from the fields was challenging and stressful. I think more so for my husband than me. He is the main bread winner now and a lot rides on his shoulders. However, we have survived these past 3 months well, and now the Lord has blessed us by providing a full time agronomist job for him that will more than cover our household expenses. 

Through these first 3 months, I have done hours of research on ways to be self sufficient to save us money on groceries and other staples. It has been a wonderful adventure and I have found that I enjoy doing it. Currently we buy no pre-prepped food( ie: hamburger helper, Au gratin potatoes, etc.). I bake our own wheat bread, make our laundry soap, use home made cleaners ( it is amazing what white vinegar, lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide can do....not all together of course) At one time I was spending (way to much) money on natural, chemical free "safer" cleaners. Completely silly when a few simple ingredients like vinegar  or lemon juice can do just as good a job. I will admit some things still need a good dose of bleach (like a shower covered in dirt and grime and oil from a hard working farmer, or when little one forgets that the bath is NOT the place to use the restroom....) 

These are only a few things, but the laundry soap alone will save us $67 a year, and it will take 4 years of making the soap to use all the ingredients completely up. 
I hope to use this blog to encourage myself to continue to strive for more self sufficiency, and to share my journey with others. I realize that there are already hundreds of blogs that do this, so this is more for me than anyone else. But I do hope to possibly connect with other stay at home moms or wives and farmer's wives that have discovered their own way, and are willing to encourage a "newbie" in her journey to healthier, safer, more self sufficient living! 

No comments:

Post a Comment