Wednesday, November 7, 2012

For the love of Lemon

It is barely November and winter boredom has struck in this house! Little one and I had grocery shopping done well before 10:30 this morning. That leaves a long afternoon ahead, BUT while grocery shopping we picked up a bag of lemons because I have been dying to try out One Good Thing By Jillee's lemon vinegar recipe.

While trying to not only be self sufficient and frugal with our food supply, I have been trying to use less chemical cleaners as appropriate. Vinegar is and amazing cleanser  but the smell can be overpowering in our small bathroom. I am hoping that this lemon vinegar will remedy that! This will be a LONG two weeks.

Of course little one is helping! She loves to be in the kitchen with Mama.


Here is my "would have been way easier with a juicer" method, Cut up the lemons, and hand squeezed into the measuring cup ( I had originally planned to make lemonade, but it takes 2 cups and my hands got tired after one!)


Here the peels are in my 1 gallon jar filled with vinegar.


I strained the larger pulp and seeds from the juice and decided to go ahead and freeze for later. Each Willie the Wildcat head holds about 1/2 Tblsp of Juice.


Gotta love the k-state ice cube trays courtesy of my sis-in-law Fancy Farm Chic!

And on a side note today it sounds like the end of the world, how wonderful to live so close to Ft. Riley!









No comments:

Post a Comment