Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Wooden Growth Chart

I'm sure everyone, if your on pinterest has seen a growth chart made in large form to look like a ruler. I thought how easy and sentimental this would be to have. First I thought maybe I can just order one on Etsy, and of course too expensive for my blood. Prices run from 45 to upwards of 90, based on how elaborate the design, or size, etc.

First thing, find a board. Have farmer bring a basically straight 2x8 home from the farm= $0. Next thing is how I should choose to finish the board. I wanted it to be able to be in the main part of our home, so I thought stain. Now we did have some leftover stain from an old kitchen chair project, but not a lot. In fact, not enough to finish it I'm sure.

Then I ran across a pin that led me to THIS sight. Now what better way to stain than with a FREE home made stain, that looks rustic/worn. ( Now I call this free because I already had all necessary components on hand.)

I measured and had my Farmer cut the board to a length of 6'2". This is what would fit best in the area I have in mind to hang this when it's finished. 

2x8 prestain
I mixed up the "stain" a few days ahead of time and it didn't seem to have any negative effect to wait longer than over night to use it. I did discover that I did not think through that I would be staining a much larger piece than Honor at Home Heart Craft and I used up my steel wool poof with the first application. I just cut another section of steel wool and threw it in the jar of vinegar mix while the first coat dried. (Confession: it was cold and snowing when I did this, so I just let it air dry in the craft room, not in the sun. My assumption is it just took longer to dry, a few hours.)

After the first coat. It looks dirty!

Application of second coat of "stain"
Finished Product

Such a cheeser!
Over all, cheap and easy. Looks great! Now to find some liquid chalk or paint pen to mark dates!
On a farm note, just finished up wheat harvest, so it's been a busy 4 weeks! Rain delays, a long with a few broken belts to slow us down. All in all, everything went well.

New Gleaner R67 and the Semi


Unfortunately, no pictures of our Miss E riding along with daddy or mommy in the tractor or combine!

No comments:

Post a Comment