Friday, February 7, 2014

Play Dough

If you mommies out there are having days with your toddler like this:


Yes, that is my child pulling stuffing out of the pillows!
With attitudes such as:

Being proud of her naughtiness

Then I have a solution for you! Ok, maybe not a one fits all, gonna work every time, for everyone kind of solution. But hey, worth a try?!

After this little bout of orneriness E and I whipped up a batch of home made play dough. I didn't make the edible kind per say, but if little one chooses to take a taste this recipe is not gonna poison them. The recipe I used is one my momma made for me when I was a little girl.
        2 cups flour ( I used APF, but I'm sure you could sub whole wheat, or whatever you have on hand)
        1/2 cup Salt ( I used Kosher)
        1 TBLSP Oil ( I used Canola)
         2 tsp Cream of Tartar 
         2 Cups Water ( I used the faucet kind ;) )
        Food coloring as desired

Alrighty, I combined all these right in the saucepan and whisked it together, trying to get the lumps out. Next time I will do it right and add the flour mix a little at a time, but hey when your in a hurry.....Cook all this mix over medium low heat until all the water has cooked out. Add your food coloring if you choose before the dough ball starts to form. The dough will be stiff and pulling away from the edge of the pan. (See my empty pan below).

Wouldn't you know I forgot to take pictures during the process!
 After it has thickened throw it on a lightly floured counter and knead until smooth and no longer sticky. As in it should not stick to the counter top or your hands. BE CAREFUL the dough will be HOT to start with. 

This is what mine looked like when it was ready
After it is ready and COOLED let the good times begin!






Please take note of the pink, striped overalls and tractor! She's my farm girl :)

E had so much fun with this play dough, she has asked for it multiple times since we made it! I'll admit it, she even had a little taste, and was NOT impressed :)


** Disclaimer: Occasionally my child does wear matching, coordinated clothing, unfortunately in the above photos this did not occur...MY EXCUSE: we are potty training ( Need I say more??)



No comments:

Post a Comment