Saturday, February 1, 2014

It's that time of Month again...

Now, if you are a woman, or someone married to a woman, I know what your thinking! But don't be alarmed, there will not be any "too much information", or biology ed here!

I am talking grocery time! If you are not familiar with what it is like to live 1 to 1 1/2 hours from a Walmart, Sams Club, Target, Dillions, or what have you, then let me explain. EVERY trip is a BIG deal. We live in rural Kansas, we don't get to the "big city" all that often. Therefore, we have settled on a once a month shopping trip. It's what works best for us.

Now, I'm not saying its perfect, or enjoyable, or easy by any means. It is stressful, draining, exhausting, and frustrating at times. Especially when you've had several comments on how full your cart is, when the cashier asks you to repeat again" You have EIGHT gallons of Milk?" Yes, eight, I buy eight gallons of milk every month. I also buy 4 pounds of butter, at least that in cheese, and 48 eggs. How about that!

Now I know a lot of folks think Walmart and the "big chains" are bad and we should all avoid giving them our business, because they are running the small guy out. And I agree with that, I wish I could shop locally. I want to support the local grocer. However, the difference in buying milk for $1.99 vs. almost $6? Big chain is gonna win every time.  Now some would say, you should sacrifice something else you don't need to make it fit the budget. For us, we already have done that. I don't buy my husband his favorite potato chips because I buy our daughter fresh fruit. I only buy two cartons of the deliriously delicious caramel macchiato creamer so that I can buy toothpaste, or mouthwash. It's hard to be the person in the middle, and unfortunately the middle class is growing, quickly. Which means the big guys are gonna rake in the dough.

Wow, that was a tangent, a real rant if you will. My thoughts lead to this.

  • What do you do to stay in budget? 
  • What do you sacrifice to make the cut?
  • How many DIYers do we have out there who do it to make the dough stretch a little farther?
  • Anyone else shop by the month? Share some tips with us if you do!! (I'm always eager to find and easier way to complete this task!)
Personally, I have resorted back to the ol' colored sharpies on notebook paper for our grocery list. (This is master copy though) I keep a white board on the fridge for easy access when I use the last of something, it's right there for me to write it down. The on the eve of the "big day" I sit down and copy all the items from the white board on to paper. I color code into sections. (ie. Dry goods, Cold, Misc, Health and beauty, baby, etc.) This makes for easy reference at the store, things are separated enough that I can find them easily. I also go through all my coupons, and mark each item on the list with a star if I have an associated coupon. For additional savings, I hop on the computer to one of the great coupon websites and print any that coincide with my list.

That is the easy part. On to lessons when shopping with a toddler. It is absolutely necessary to rush immediately to the chip aisle and pick up one bag of cheddar puff corn. ( If your lucky you will make it out of the store with a) some puffs still in the bag and b) not covered in orange powder.) the purpose of the puff corn you ask? Why to bribe your whiny, a hem angelic baby into sweet behavior for the following 2 to 2 1/2 hours. ( And yes you read right, TWO or more hours) I can't remember the last time we made it out in under 2 hours and without multiple carts. I digress, now I shop in shifts. First, dry goods, non perishables, etc. This will most likely take the longest at around 1 1/2. When I've collected all on my list I hop up to the check out spend what seems like and ungodly amount of money and jaunt out to the car and unload. (all while trying to remember to hand the appropriate coupons, remind the cashier of the items on the bottom of the cart and cajoling your now screaming toddler that she can have her puffs back as soon as the nice, however annoyed looking, lady rings it up.)

Second shift is cold items. This takes a little less time to pick up all the items as for one you don't have to run from one end of the store to the other and back again, you already have the cheese puffs :). This time however you are explaining constantly that no, it is not time to go home, and no daddy is not here with us. When all the items are gathered, I run through check out again, praise God I made it under budget and head outta there.

Using coupons I probably save somewhere between $8-12 each trip. Of course sometimes more, and sometimes less. I just remind myself that even the small amounts help!

I'm tired now just thinking about the next grocery trip! Time to snuggle in with a good book and forget the worries!

Note: This picture has nothing to do with groceries....I just think this kid is adorable.
Worth every whine and minutes lost to grandma's in the store fawning over her!





No comments:

Post a Comment