Thursday, January 31, 2013

When Old becomes....Somewhat new

Rarely do I have the time to do many "crafty" things these days. However there has been one project hanging over my head for quite some time now. There is a dated, awful gold framed mirror that has been at the end of our hall since the house was in the family.( And that is a long time before we owned it) When my husbands Grandma Maureen passed away, all of her 8 of her children came to claim what they wanted and the odds and ends were left here. So when we bought the house a year and a half ago we naturally inherited all of those odds and ends. As ugly as I think that mirror is, I love it. I love it for it's sentimental value. I love it for what it means. I love it becomes it means something to my husband, since it was his grandmothers. So to now try and shorten a long story, I revamped said mirror for FREE! I had everything on hand, easy peasy.

 
Here you see the the beautiful,  err retro gold in full
 
 
And a close up. This mirror has such beautiful detail, another reason I couldn't bear to throw it out. AND it is a solid wood frame. To buy a mirror comparable to this one in the time? Outrageous!!
So I just slapped a  little black paint on it and boom pretty, and at least more modern than it once was.
 

And here it is back at home at the end of our hall. Please excuse the flash, its a dark hall!

 
 
Not much skill required, but still a successful and fulfilling project.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment